Protection, comfort and cargo capacity: A review of the best hiking pants for all day on the trail
Friday, January 19, 2018 by Zoey Sky
Hikers know the importance of choosing the right pair of pants, especially if you’re going to be climbing for a long time. Your clothing must be lightweight so that they’re comfy, but you also need to have clothing that can withstand the outdoors. These hiking pants are some of the best offered on the market, and they’re made of quality material but comfortable enough to wear 24/7. (h/t to BestProducts.com)
- La Sportiva Solution Pants (Men’s) – These pants from La Sportiva can withstand rough terrain. It’s made from “durable, stretchy Cordura.”
- Mountain Hardwear Right Bank Scrambler Pants (Men’s) – This pair of pants is suitable for climbing or just hanging out in the city. Scrambler pants are made of performance stretch fabric, and they dry quickly.
- Marmot Scree Pants (Men’s) – The Scree Pants come with an elastic waist and zippered pockets for your camping odds and ends.
- Outdoor Research Voodoo Pants (Men’s) – Despite its technical features, this pair of Outdoor Research pants have a comfy and casual look. The fabric is breathable and can easily wick moisture.
- Royal Robin Alpine Road Pants (Men’s) – These trekker pants are very stretchy. The Alpine Road Pants feature articulated knees and a gusseted crotch to allow you freedom of movement when you’re hiking.
- Silver Ridge Convertible Pants (Men’s) – If you’re going to hike in warm weather, consider these pants from Silver Ridge. Thanks to its zippered bottom half, the pants can be turned into shorts whenever you want.
- Arc’teryx Zeta LT Pants (Women’s) – These waterproof Gore-Tex pants can offer “ultimate weather protection,” even though they’re made of an incredibly soft material.
- Kuhl Splash Roll-Up Pants (Women’s) – These pants are soft and comfy, with the perfect stretch for hiking. These Roll-Up Pants can also shed unwanted moisture.
- The North Face Aphrodite 2.0 Capri Pants (Women’s) – This pair of slim fit pants comes in a capri cut and is lightweight enough for hiking or simply doing some chores.
- Patagonia Quandary Pants (Women’s) – Lightweight and stretchable, this nylon/spandex blend is perfect for female hikers.
- prAna Meme Pants (Women’s) – “Stylish and functional,” this pair of hiking pants is “stretchy, water-repellent, and durable.”
Lightweight hiking shoes of 2018
Here’s a sneak peek at the top picks for 2018’s best hiking shoes:
- Salomon X Ultra 3 GTX – The Salomon X Ultra 3 reigns as the top lightweight hiking shoe of 2018. The X Ultra merges “a feathery feel with impressive on-trail performance.” The third model of the X Ultra only weighs one pound 10 ounces (for a men’s size 9), the new tread design grips even better for almost all conditions, and the stable chassis and cushioned interior are suitable for long trail days. The X Ultra is perfect for day hikes, quick summits, and lightweight backpacking. (Related: 2017’s best hiking shoes for men: Best for comfort, aggressive hiking, and more.)
- Merrell Moab 2 Waterproof – The Moab 2 is lightweight, but it has “a planted feel, a comfortable fit, and a value price.” Merrell’s second model features a more durable upper and improved cushioning in the heel of the footbed.
- The North Face Ultra 110 GTX – The North Face’s Ultra 110 GTX is touted as a trail-running shoe, but it can also be used as “a quality lightweight hiker.” The shoe comes with “a stable platform, good foot protection, and durable construction.” The Ultra 110 is made of rubber that will last long even when used on “rocky and rough trails.”
You can learn more about the proper hiking gear and clothing at Gear.news.